Thursday, April 28, 2022

Collateral murders-2007

                                                          My reaction

     Before I proceed to write my reaction to the Collateral murder video, there is something I would like to say first.  While I know I am being graded on my response, I view this particular blog post as more than just a class assignment.  

I would like to use this platform to speak what is on my heart, as there is plenty I wish to say.  In the first five or 10 minutes after I watched the Collateral murders video, I was emotionally numb.  

Part of me wanted to cry, whereas another part of me could not because I was still so shocked and mortified by everything I had just seen.  Within a half hour, my perception of our nation's army had drastically flipped.  

Ever since I was in elementary school, I had been taught to be patriotic and supportive of our country's military efforts.  At the time, I accepted these principles without question.  

After all, I was young, and it just seemed like the right thing to do considering I was and still am a U.S. citizen.  However, I am not the kind of person who is willing to support or defend heinous acts of violence against innocent people.  To say that the U.S. Army should be ashamed of themselves is an understatement that does not even begin to express the level of anger and sadness that I feel inside.  


                                              Photo from: theguardian.com

Furthermore, I doubt that the Collateral muders in Baghdad was an isolated catastrophe perpetrated by the U.S. Army.  This then brings me to my next question, "Why is it that the media does not report on incidents such as this?"  

I feel like this video was an eye opener for me personally, as it goes to show how the media is biased when it comes to selecting what they want the American public to see.  As a journalist, I can learn from that because I know that ultimately, it is my duty to report the truth, regardlesss of what it might be.  

Do I want my country to be depicted in a positive fashion?  Absolutely.  On the other hand, I am not willing to conceal wrongdoings, such as the Collateral murders from the American people.  

These stories need to be talked about, not only in the media but they need to be taught in schools as well.  If it happens to tarnish some people's views of the United States Army, then so be it.  

But, as civil rights activist, John Lewis always said, "When you see something that is not right, not fair, not just, you have to speak up."  This message empowers me to apply that same strength in the media, even if it means I have to stand alone.  

Secondly, this video makes me worry about what is at stake for me as a journalist.  Two journalists, Saeed Chmagh and Namir Noor-Eldeen were murdered while covering events of the war. 


                                             Photo from: theweek.com

 Let me first just say that my heart goes out to these two gentlemen and their loved ones.  I especially commend them for their bravery to do their jobs while putting their lives on the line.  

It makes me wonder wonder whether I would have had the courage to do the same.  Of course, I want to serve the public by doing my job as a journalist; However, I do not want to die in the process, and I don't want other members of the press to die for simply doing their jobs either.  

I think all aspiring journalists should watch this video, as it can help them make a more informed decision as to whether they are willing to sacrifice their lives to do their jobs.  

There were two parts of the video that especially traumatized me.  The first part was towards the beginning when two men were shown transporting what I believe was a dead body into a van.  

The other part was when a group of people were ducking for cover at a nearby vehicle during an airstrike.  Because it was so graphic, I am not sure if I am able to elaborate on what was going through my head as I was watching it.  

In fact, it is still taking time for me to process the entire video.  I just feel terrible for the people who had to endure this, as well as those who died in the process.  

The collateral murders reminded me a lot of 9/11.  Although I was only four months old when 9/11 happened, the videos I watched made me feel as if I was there witnessing it firsthand.  

For example, I watched one video which showed the north tower of the World Trade Center burning after Flight 11 crashed into it.  About three and a half minutes into the video, I then saw Flight 175 crash into the south tower. 

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiOIxuHXG-g


 I think this may have been one of the few instances when I have witnessed the last couple seconds of someone else's life.  People on the ground below were running and trying to take cover wherever they could, whether in nearby stores or under cars. 

 I often wonder what the people on the four planes were thinking in the final moments of their lives.  If I could have done anything to save those innocent people's lives, I would have because they did not deserve that.  


                                           Photo from: Britannica.com

I am literally crying as I am writing this because the same question keeps ringing through my mind again and again, "Why is there so much evil and hatred in the world?"  

I would now like to conclude this blog post by spreading a message of kindness.  Wake up every day with the intent of trying to be a blessing in somebody else's life.  Just because you might see others around you precipitating division and wickedness does not mean you should emulate that. 

 Although our world will never be a perfect place, that should not deter us from striving to make it a better one where all people are loved, valued and revered.  The song below is titled, "What's going on?" by Marvin Gaye.  I believe the lyrics really put into perspective many events around the world and how we can progress.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kA3UtBj4M



No comments:

Post a Comment

Multimedia Story- Black students' experiences on a predominantly white campus

      Black students’ experiences on a predominantly white campus                                  By Lauryn Green      High Point Unive...